Windows 10 USB3.0 Disconnect Fix

The USB port is probably one of the best invention in the history of computing. It is simple to use, however due to some operating system configuration, it sometimes can be tricky.

It happens when I upgrade my laptop, the laptop comes with multiple USB 3.0 ports. As usual, I plugged in my old trusty USB 2.0 hard disk and start transferring all my files into the new laptop. Because it have quite a bunch of files to transfer, naturally I let it sit over night to do it's job. When I wake up the next morning, I heard my laptop is making some sounds, apparently it is disconnecting and reconnecting my trusty external hard disk repeatedly.

Fearing it may kill my hard disk, I immediately unplug it and try to look for a solution to this answer. I had tried many configuration and even formatting the PC, thinking that the laptop manufacturer may had included some USB power settings that may leads to this issue. However, it still doesn't fix it.

Finally I came across the solution after a long time with fiddling with the USB configurations and googling around.

The Solution

The idea behind this configuration is to instruct Windows not to put the USB device to sleep mode to save power. The settings is device dependent, so you might need to apply the settings to each of your connected devices.

1. Right click start > Device Manager.
2. Right click USB Root Hub > Properties
3. Go to Power Management tab

4. Un-tick the checkbox labelled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
5. You may required to repeat step 2 to 4 for your connected USB devices

Comments